Monday, October 17, 2005

Canyonlands NP

After visiting Arches yesterday, I have to say I find Canyonlands far
less impressive. Of course, I only visited one section of the park
because the other two sections are each at least 100 miles from each
other.

The canyon itself is impressive, but I don't find it as spectacular as
the Grand Canyon.

When I visited the south rim of Grand Canyon I remember walking through
the shrubbery that carefully veils the Canyon itself from the roadway
and I immediately burst into tears as I stepped through and saw the
Canyon with my own eyes. Grand Canyon is still, by far, the most
magnificent place I have ever visited.

The Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands is only 33 miles from
Arches and yet the landscape could not be more different. The Martian
red rock gives way to grasslands, shrubs and small trees. Compared to
Southern California and Nevada, it is almost lush, and it seems much
less desert-like, though it is still technically desert land.

Here are some photos of the Canyons. I would have taken more, but I
forgot to charge the Sidekick last night and lost power 10 minutes after
entering the park.

No comments: